Re: [patch] [doc] Minor variable related cleanup and rewording of plpgsql docs

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [patch] [doc] Minor variable related cleanup and rewording of plpgsql docs
Date: 2020-11-30 03:24:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 12:49 AM Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> čt 26. 11. 2020 v 6:41 odesílatel David G. Johnston <
> david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> napsal:
>
>> Hackers,
>>
>> Bug # 16519 [1] is another report of confusion regarding trying to use
>> parameters in improper locations - specifically the SET ROLE command within
>> pl/pgsql. I'm re-attaching the doc patch and am adding it to the
>> commitfest.
>>

> I checked this patch, and I think so it is correct - my comments are just
> about enhancing by some examples

Thank you for the review.

v2 attached.

I added examples in the two places you noted.

Upon re-reading, I decided that opening up the section by including
everything then fitting in parameters with an exception for utility
commands (without previously/otherwise identifying them) forced some
undesirable verbosity. Instead, I opened up with the utility commands as
the main body of non-result returning commands and then moved onto
delete/insert/update non-returning cases when the subsequent paragraph
regarding parameters can then refer to the second class (by way of
excluding the first class). This seems to flow better, IMO.

David J.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-doc-plpgsql-variable-usage-cleanup.patch application/octet-stream 5.4 KB