Re: Postgres and --config-file option

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Postgres and --config-file option
Date: 2024-02-02 21:27:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 2, 2024 at 2:23 PM David G. Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 4:35 AM Aleksander Alekseev <
> aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> PFA the patch. It's short but I think it mitigates the problem.
>>

> I took a look at where these options are discussed in the documentation
> and now feel that we should make these options clear more broadly (config
> and libpq, plus pointing to --name from -c in a couple of places). It
> doesn't add much verbosity and, frankly, if I was to pick one
> "--name=value" would win and so I'd rather document it, leaving -c alone
> for historical reasons.
>
> I've attached a replacement patch with the additional changes.

And I just saw one more apparently undocumented requirement (or a typo)

You must specify the --config-file

The actual parameter is "config_file", so apparently we are supposed to
either convert underscores to hyphens or we have a typo.

David J.