Re: [BUG?] SET TIME ZONE doesn't work with abbreviations

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUG?] SET TIME ZONE doesn't work with abbreviations
Date: 2021-09-07 13:57:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tuesday, September 7, 2021, Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi hackers,
>
> I noticed that `SET TIME ZONE` / `SET timezone TO` don't work with
> abbreviations:
>
> Is it a bug or this behavior is intentional (something to do with SQL
> standard, perhaps)?

Well, given that the limitation is documented I’d have to say it is
intentional:

You cannot set the configuration parameters TimeZone
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/runtime-config-client.html#GUC-TIMEZONE>
or log_timezone
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/runtime-config-logging.html#GUC-LOG-TIMEZONE>
a time zone abbreviation, but you can use abbreviations in date/time input
values and with the AT TIME ZONE operator.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/datatype-datetime.html#DATATYPE-TIMEZONES

David J.