settings to control SSL/TLS protocol version

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: settings to control SSL/TLS protocol version
Date: 2018-11-05 21:07:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Monday, November 5, 2018, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 05, 2018 at 03:01:58PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 4:21 PM Peter Eisentraut
> > <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Attached is a patch that implements this. For example:
> > >
> > > ssl_min_protocol_version = 'TLSv1'
> > > ssl_max_protocol_version = 'any'
> >
> > +1. Maybe it would make sense to spell 'any' as the empty string.
> > Intuitively, it makes more sense to me to think about there being no
> > maximum than to think about the maximum being anything.
>
> ..and now, I'm finally beginning to see the reasoning that led Oracle
> to conflate NULL and empty string.

Seems like a situation for ‘n/a’ though maybe that’s too English-centric...

I’m a bit uncertain about the mix of name and number in something that
purports to be a version and thus should be numeric only. SSLv3 and TLSv2
would not be comparable in terms of min/max...but I haven’t delved deeply
into the feature either.

David J.