Re: BUG #13771: Clarify length of name for prepared statement and return error.

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "wcatron(at)catrondevelopment(dot)com" <wcatron(at)catrondevelopment(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #13771: Clarify length of name for prepared statement and return error.
Date: 2015-11-12 04:41:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wednesday, November 11, 2015, <wcatron(at)catrondevelopment(dot)com> wrote:

> Bug reference: 13771
> Logged by: Weston Catron
> Email address: wcatron(at)catrondevelopment(dot)com <javascript:;>
> PostgreSQL version: 9.3.3
> Operating system: linux
>
> Please clarify in the documentation how long a prepared statement name can
> be. I tested it at 63 characters. This was not made clear anywhere and I
> was
> running into issues where the differences were past the 63 character mark
> and it was trying to run queries with the wrong statement. It also only
> CLIPED it didn't return an error of any kind.

Documented here.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/sql-syntax-lexical.html

It applies to all identifiers (e.g., table names, column names, etc...)

Why it had to be truncated instead of an error I don't know but at this
point backward compatibility is likely going to prevent any change.

David J.