Re: DROP relation IF EXISTS Docs and Tests - Bug Fix

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DROP relation IF EXISTS Docs and Tests - Bug Fix
Date: 2020-09-30 02:00:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 3:48 PM Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've skimmed through the thread and checked the patchset. Everything
> looks good, except one paragraph, which doesn't look completely clear.
>
> + <para>
> + This emulates the functionality provided by
> + <xref linkend="sql-createtype"/> but sets the created object's
> + <glossterm linkend="glossary-type-definition">type
> definition</glossterm>
> + to domain.
> + </para>
>
> As I get it states that CREATE DOMAIN somehow "emulates" CREATE TYPE.
> Could you please, rephrase it? It looks confusing to me yet.

v5 attached, looking at this fresh and with some comments to consider.

I ended up just combining both patches into one.

I did away with the glossary changes altogether, and the invention of the
new term. I ended up limiting "type's type" to just domain usage but did a
couple of a additional tweaks that tried to treat domains as not being
actual types even though, at least in PostgreSQL, they are (at least as far
as DROP TYPE is concerned - and since I don't have any understanding of the
SQL Standard's decision to separate out create domain and create type I'll
just stick to the implementation in front of me.

David J.

Attachment Content-Type Size
001-v5-drop-if-exists-docs-and-tests.patch application/octet-stream 24.3 KB