Re: Pluggable Storage - Andres's take

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pluggable Storage - Andres's take
Date: 2018-11-16 01:05:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 11:17 AM Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 9:34 PM Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
>> FYI, alongside with reviewing the code changes I've ran few performance
>> tests
>> (that's why I hit this issue with pgbench in the first place). In case of
>> high
>> concurrecy so far I see small performance degradation in comparison with
>> the
>> master branch (about 2-5% of average latency, depending on the level of
>> concurrency), but can't really say why exactly (perf just shows barely
>> noticeable overhead there and there, maybe what I see is actually a
>> cumulative
>> impact).
>>

> Thanks for sharing your observation, I will also analyze and try to find
> out performance
> bottlenecks that are causing the overhead.

I tried running the pgbench performance tests with minimal clients in my
laptop and I didn't
find any performance issues, may be issue is visible only with higher
clients. Even with
perf tool, I am not able to get a clear problem function. As you said,
combining of all changes
leads to some overhead.

Here I attached the cumulative patches with further fixes and basic syntax
regress tests also.

Regards,
Haribabu Kommi
Fujitsu Australia

Attachment Content-Type Size
0003-First-draft-of-pluggable-storage-documentation.patch application/octet-stream 31.5 KB
0002-New-API-s-are-added.patch application/octet-stream 9.0 KB
0001-Further-fixes-and-cleanup.patch application/octet-stream 23.9 KB