Re: visual studio 2017 build support

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Christian Ullrich <chris(at)chrullrich(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: visual studio 2017 build support
Date: 2017-09-25 04:25:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 10:40 PM, Andrew Dunstan <
andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 09/21/2017 08:16 PM, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
> >

> > I was about to commit this after a good bit of testing when I
> > noticed this:
> >
> > + Building with <productname>Visual Studio 2017</productname>
> is
> > supported
> > + down to <productname>Windows 7 SP1</> and
> <productname>Windows
> > Server 2012 R2</>.
> >
> > I was able to build on Windows Server 2008 without a problem, so I'm
> > curious why we are saying it's not supported.
> >

> > Thanks for the review.
> >
> > From the visual studio system requirements [1], in the section of
> > supported
> > operating systems, it is mentioned as windows 7 SP1 and windows server
> > 2012 R2 and didn't mentioned anything about 2008, because of this reason,
> > I mentioned as that it supported till the above operating systems. As
> > I don't
> > have windows server 2008 system availability, so I didn't verify the
> same.
> >
> > The visual studio 2017 product itself is not mentioned as that it
> supports
> > windows server 2008, can we go ahead and mention it in our documentation?
> >
> > [1] -
> > https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/productinfo/vs2017-
> system-requirements-vs
> >

> That page also says:
>

> Microsoft Visual Studio Build Tools 2017
>
> Also installs on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
>

> So I'm inclined to adjust the documentation accordingly.

Thanks for pointing it out, I missed to check the Build tools support
section.
Here I attached the updated patch with the change in documentation to
include the 2008 R2 SP1 operating system also.

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Support-of-PostgreSQL-build-with-visual-studio-2017_v3.patch application/octet-stream 7.7 KB