From: shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
Date: 2023-10-12 03:48:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 9, 2023 at 10:51 AM Drouvot, Bertrand
<bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 10/6/23 6:48 PM, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 4, 2023 at 5:34 PM Drouvot, Bertrand
> > <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> >> +1, same understanding here.
> >>

> > At PGConf NYC, I had a brief discussion on this topic with Andres
> > where yet another approach to achieve this came up.
>
> Great!
>
> > Have a parameter
> > like enable_failover at the slot level (this will be persistent
> > information). Users can set it during the create/alter subscription or
> > via pg_create_logical_replication_slot(). Also, on physical standby,
> > there will be a parameter like enable_syncslot. All the physical
> > standbys that have set enable_syncslot will receive all the logical
> > slots that are marked as enable_failover. To me, whether to sync a
> > particular slot is a slot-level property, so defining it in this new
> > way seems reasonable.
>
> Yeah, as this is a slot-level property, I agree that this seems reasonable.
>
> Also that sounds more natural to me with this approach. The primary
> is really the one that "drives" which slots can be synced. I like it.
>
> One could also set enable_failover while creating a logical slot on a physical
> standby (so that cascading standbys could also have "extra slot" to sync as
> compare to "level 1" standbys).
>

> > I think this will simplify the scheme a bit but still, the list of
> > physical standby's for which logical slots wait during decoding needs
> > to be maintained as we thought.
>
> Right.
>
> > But, how about with the above two
> > parameters (enable_failover and enable_syncslot), we have
> > standby_slot_names defined on the primary. That avoids the need to
> > store the list of standby_slot_names in logical slots and simplifies
> > the implementation quite a bit, right?
>
> Agree.
>
> > Now, one can think if we have a
> > parameter like 'standby_slot_names' then why do we need
> > enable_syncslot on physical standby but that will be required to
> > invoke sync worker which will pull logical slot's information?
>
> yes and enable_sync slot on the standby could also be used to "pause"
> the sync on standbys (by disabling the parameter) if one would want to
> (without the need to modify anything on the primary).
>
> > The
> > advantage of having standby_slot_names defined on primary is that we
> > can selectively wait on the subset of physical standbys where we are
> > syncing the slots.
>
> Yeah and this flexibility/filtering looks somehow mandatory to me.
>
> > I think this will be something similar to
> > 'synchronous_standby_names' in the sense that the physical standbys
> > mentioned in standby_slot_names will behave as synchronous copies with
> > respect to slots and after failover user can switch to one of these
> > physical standby and others can start following new master/publisher.
> >
> > Thoughts?

> [...]

Thank You Amit and Bertrand for feedback on the new design.

PFA v23 patch set which attempts to implement the new proposed design
to handle sync candidates:
a) The synchronize_slot_names GUC is removed. Instead the
'enable_failover' property is added at the slot level which is
persistent. It can be set by the user using create-subscription
command. eg: create subscription mysub connection '....' publication
mypub WITH (enable_failover = true);
b) New GUC enable_syncslot is added on standbys to enable disable
slot-sync on standbys
c) standby_slot_names are maintained on primary.

The patch 002 also addresses Peter's comments dated Oct 6 and Oct10.

Thank You Ajin for implementing 'create subscription' cmd changes to
support 'enable_failover' syntax.

This patch has not implemented below yet, it will be done in next version:
--Provide support to set/alter enable_failover using
alter-subscription and pg_create_logical_replication_slot
--Changes needed to support slot-synchronization on cascading standbys
--Display "enable_failover" property in pg_replication_slots. I think
it makes sense to do this.

thanks
Shveta

Attachment Content-Type Size
v23-0002-Add-logical-slot-sync-capability-to-physical-sta.patch application/octet-stream 109.5 KB
v23-0001-Allow-logical-walsenders-to-wait-for-the-physica.patch application/octet-stream 42.2 KB