From: shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nisha Moond <nisha(dot)moond412(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
Date: 2024-04-02 04:06:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 5:05 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > 2 ===
> >
> > + {
> > + if (SnapBuildSnapshotExists(remote_slot->restart_lsn))
> > + {
> >
> > That could call SnapBuildSnapshotExists() multiple times for the same
> > "restart_lsn" (for example in case of multiple remote slots to sync).
> >
> > What if the sync worker records the last lsn it asks for serialization (and
> > serialized ? Then we could check that value first before deciding to call (or not)
> > SnapBuildSnapshotExists() on it?
> >
> > It's not ideal because it would record "only the last one" but that would be
> > simple enough for now (currently there is only one sync worker so that scenario
> > is likely to happen).
> >

> Yeah, we could do that but I am not sure how much it can help. I guess
> we could do some tests to see if it helps.

I had a look at test-results conducted by Nisha, I did not find any
repetitive restart_lsn from primary being synced to standby for that
particular test of 100 slots. Unless we have some concrete test in
mind (having repetitive restart_lsn), I do not think that by using the
given tests, we can establish the benefit of suggested optimization.
Attached the log files of all slots test for reference,

thanks
Shveta

Attachment Content-Type Size
multidb_with_patch_primary_after_adv_data.txt text/plain 11.2 KB
multidb_with_patch_synced_data_after_adv.txt text/plain 10.8 KB