From: shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
Date: 2023-09-25 04:10:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 22, 2023 at 3:48 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 9:16 AM shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 10:29 AM shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > Currently in patch001, synchronize_slot_names is a GUC on both primary
> > and physical standby. This GUC tells which all logical slots need to
> > be synced on physical standbys from the primary. Ideally it should be
> > a GUC on physical standby alone and each physical standby should be
> > able to communicate the value to the primary (considering the value
> > may vary for different physical replicas of the same primary). The
> > primary on the other hand should be able to take UNION of these values
> > and let the logical walsenders (belonging to the slots in UNION
> > synchronize_slots_names) wait for physical standbys for confirmation
> > before sending those changes to logical subscribers. The intent is
> > logical subscribers should never be ahead of physical standbys.
> >

> Before getting into the details of 'synchronize_slot_names', I would
> like to know whether we really need the second GUC
> 'standby_slot_names'. Can't we simply allow all the logical wal
> senders corresponding to 'synchronize_slot_names' to wait for just the
> physical standby(s) (physical slot corresponding to such physical
> standby) that have sent ' synchronize_slot_names'list? We should have
> one physical standby slot corresponding to one physical standby.

yes, with the new approach (to be implemented next) where we plan to
send synchronize_slot_names from each physical standby to primary, the
standby_slot_names GUC should no longer be needed on primary. The
physical standbys sending requests should automatically become the
ones to be waited for confirmation on the primary.

thanks
Shveta