Re: MCV lists for highly skewed distributions

From: John Naylor <jcnaylor(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MCV lists for highly skewed distributions
Date: 2018-01-07 11:07:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:

> I'll be travelling for a few days, but I'll do some testing on some
> data sets soon.

I've attached some preliminary test methods and results. Probably not
detailed or rigorous enough, but I wanted to share this much before
digging deeper. I created some test data, ran analyze a few times and
eyeballed the results, of which I give a typical example. I used a low
stat target to make it easier to see the general picture. Suggestions
welcome.

-John Naylor

Attachment Content-Type Size
test_analyze_highly_skewed_v1.sql application/sql 2.4 KB