Re: XID formatting and SLRU refactorings (was: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15)

From: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ilya Anfimov <ilan(at)tzirechnoy(dot)com>, Maxim Orlov <orlovmg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: XID formatting and SLRU refactorings (was: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15)
Date: 2022-03-18 13:50:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi hackers,

> Aleksander Alekseev, we've done this major revision mentioned above and
you are free to continue working on this patch set.

> Reviews and proposals are very welcome!

Many thanks!

Here is an new version with the following changes compared to v20:

- Commit messages and links to the discussions were updated;
- XID_TYPE name seemed to be slightly misleading. I changed it to
XID_FMT_TYPE. Not 100% sure if we really need this typedef though. If not,
XID_FMT_TYPE is easy to replace in the .patch files. Same for
XID32_SCANF_FMT definition;
- I noticed that pg_resetwal.c continues to use %u to format XIDs. Fixed;
- Since v20-0001 modifies gettext() arguments, I'm pretty sure the
corresponding .po files should be modified as well. I addressed this in a
separate patch in order to simplify the review;

To me personally v21 looks almost OK. The comments in c.h should be
rewritten depending on whether we choose to keep XID_FMT_TYPE and/or
XID32_SCANF_FMT. The patchset passes all the tests.

(As a side note, it looks like cfbot was slightly confused by forking the
thread and modifying the CF entry. It couldn't find v20. If somebody knows
how to fix this, please help.)

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev

Attachment Content-Type Size
v21-0001-Use-llu-to-format-XIDs.patch application/octet-stream 116.4 KB
v21-0002-Update-XID-formatting-in-the-.po-files.patch application/octet-stream 109.1 KB
v21-0003-Use-64-bit-pages-in-SLRU.patch application/octet-stream 25.5 KB