Re: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15

From: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Ilya Anfimov <ilan(at)tzirechnoy(dot)com>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15
Date: 2022-03-07 21:15:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi hackers,

> We've rebased patchset onto the current master. The result is almost the
> same as Alexander's v10 (it is a shame it is still in moderation and not
> visible in the thread). Anyway, this is the v11 patch. Reviews are very
> welcome.

Here is a rebased and slightly modified version of the patch.

I extracted the introduction of XID_FMT macro to a separate patch. Also,
I noticed that sometimes PRIu64 was used to format XIDs instead. I changed it
to XID_FMT for consistency. v12-0003 can be safely delivered in PG15.

> I encourage trying to break down the patch into smaller incrementally useful
> pieces. E.g. making all the SLRUs 64bit would be a substantial and
> independently committable piece.

I'm going to address this in follow-up emails.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev

Attachment Content-Type Size
v12-16bit-xids.tgz application/x-gzip 162.0 KB