Re: pg_resetwal tests, logging, and docs update

From: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_resetwal tests, logging, and docs update
Date: 2023-11-01 11:12:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

> Hmm. I think maybe we should fix the behavior of
> GetDataDirectoryCreatePerm() to be more consistent between Windows and
> non-Windows. This is usually the first function a program uses on the
> proposed data directory, so it's also responsible for reporting if the
> data directory does not exist. But then on Windows, because the
> function does nothing, those error scenarios end up on quite different
> code paths, and I'm not sure if those are really checked that carefully.
> I think we can make this more robust if we have
> GetDataDirectoryCreatePerm() still run the stat() call on the proposed
> data directory and report the error. See attached patch.

Yep, that would be much better.

Attaching all three patches together in order to make sure cfbot is
still happy with them while the `master` branch is evolving.

Assuming cfbot will have no complaints I suggest merging them.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0003-pg_resetwal-Add-more-tests-and-test-coverage.patch application/octet-stream 7.7 KB
v4-0001-More-consistent-behavior-of-GetDataDirectoryCreat.patch application/octet-stream 2.1 KB
v4-0002-doc-pg_resetwal-Add-comments-how-the-multipliers-.patch application/octet-stream 2.7 KB