Re: rand48 replacement

From: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Subject: Re: rand48 replacement
Date: 2021-05-24 13:08:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Fabien,

> To summarize:
> - better software engineering
> - similar speed (slightly slower)
> - better statistical quality
> - quite small state
> - soundness

Personally, I think your patch is great. Speaking of the speed I
believe we should consider the performance of the entire DBMS in
typical scenarios, not the performance of the single procedure. I'm
pretty sure in these terms the impact of your patch is neglectable
now, and almost certainly beneficial in the long term because of
better randomness.

While reviewing your patch I noticed that you missed
test_integerset.c. Here is an updated patch.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev

Attachment Content-Type Size
prng-2.patch application/x-patch 41.2 KB