Re: Minimal logical decoding on standbys

From: Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rahila Syed <rahila(dot)syed(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Minimal logical decoding on standbys
Date: 2019-11-08 05:01:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 at 14:02, Rahila Syed <rahila(dot)syed(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Amit,
>
> I am reading about this feature and reviewing it.
> To start with, I reviewed the patch: 0005-Doc-changes-describing-details-about-logical-decodin.patch.

Thanks for picking up the patch review.

Your reply somehow spawned a new mail thread, so I reverted back to
this thread for replying.

> >prevent VACUUM from removing required rows from the system catalogs,
> >hot_standby_feedback should be set on the standby. In spite of that,
> >if any required rows get removed on standby, the slot gets dropped.
> IIUC, you mean `if any required rows get removed on *the master* the slot gets
> dropped`, right?

Yes, you are right. In fact, I think it is not necessary to explicitly
mention where the rows get removed. So I have just omitted "on
standby". Will include this change in the next patch versions.

--
Thanks,
-Amit Khandekar