Re: speed up a logical replica setup

From: Shubham Khanna <khannashubham1197(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Shlok Kyal <shlok(dot)kyal(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, "kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: speed up a logical replica setup
Date: 2024-03-20 10:16:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 19, 2024 at 8:54 PM vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Mar 2024 at 16:36, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org> wrote:
> >
> > On 18.03.24 08:18, vignesh C wrote:
> > > 1) Maximum size of the object name is 64, we can have a check so that
> > > we don't specify more than the maximum allowed length:
> > > + case 3:
> > > + if (!simple_string_list_member(&opt.replslot_names, optarg))
> > > + {
> > > + simple_string_list_append(&opt.replslot_names, optarg);
> > > + num_replslots++;
> > > + }
> > > + else
> > > + {
> > > + pg_log_error("duplicate replication slot \"%s\"", optarg);
> > > + exit(1);
> > > + }
> > > + break;
> > >
> > > If we allow something like this:
> > > ./pg_createsubscriber -U postgres -D data_N2/ -P "port=5431
> > > user=postgres" -p 5432 -s /home/vignesh/postgres/inst/bin/ -d db1 -d
> > > db2 -d db3 --replication-slot="testtesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttes1"
> > > --replication-slot="testtesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttes2"
> > > --replication-slot="testtesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttes3"
> > > In this case creation of replication slot will fail:
> > > pg_createsubscriber: error: could not create replication slot
> > > "testtesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttes" on
> > > database "db2": ERROR: replication slot
> > > "testtesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttes"
> > > already exists
> >
> > I think this is fine. The server can check whether the names it is
> > given are of the right size. We don't need to check it again in the client.
> >
> > > 2) Similarly here too:
> > > + case 4:
> > > + if (!simple_string_list_member(&opt.sub_names, optarg))
> > > + {
> > > + simple_string_list_append(&opt.sub_names, optarg);
> > > + num_subs++;
> > > + }
> > > + else
> > > + {
> > > + pg_log_error("duplicate subscription \"%s\"", optarg);
> > > + exit(1);
> > > + }
> > > + break;
> > >
> > > If we allow something like this:
> > > ./pg_createsubscriber -U postgres -D data_N2/ -P "port=5431
> > > user=postgres" -p 5432 -s /home/vignesh/postgres/inst/bin/ -d db1 -d
> > > db2 -d db3 --subscription=testtesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttes1
> > > --subscription=testtesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttes2
> > > --subscription=testtesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttesttes3
> > >
> > > Subscriptions will be created with the same name and later there will
> > > be a problem when setting replication progress as there will be
> > > multiple subscriptions with the same name.
> >
> > Could you clarify this problem?
>
> In this case the subscriptions name specified is more than the allowed
> [...]

The attached patch has the changes to handle the same.

Thanks and Regards,
Shubham Khanna.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v31-0001-pg_createsubscriber-creates-a-new-logical-replic.patch application/octet-stream 99.0 KB
v31-0002-Stop-the-target-server-earlier.patch application/octet-stream 1.9 KB
v31-0003-Document-a-limitation-of-pg_createsubscriber.patch application/octet-stream 1.5 KB
v31-0004-Specify-database-along-with-subscription-query.patch application/octet-stream 1.2 KB