Re: wal_dump output on CREATE DATABASE

From: Jean-Christophe Arnu <jcarnu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
Cc: robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: wal_dump output on CREATE DATABASE
Date: 2018-11-16 16:28:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Le ven. 16 nov. 2018 à 14:32, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> a
écrit :

> > appendStringInfo(buf, "xid %u (db/rel) %u/%u ",
> > xlrec->locks[i].xid, xlrec->locks[i].dbOid,
> > xlrec->locks[i].relOid);
> >

> > As I said, I don't know whether it's relevant to perform these changes
> > or not.
>
> Maybe, I'm not against doing that. But if we do that, I don't think we
> need to add the "(db/rel)" bit - we don't do that elsewhere, so why
> here?

Yes, you spotted a bad copy/paste from me ; "(db/rel)" should bit should
not be there. Sorry.
Why that error so ? I admit I tried some changes on a local git branch of
mine with another format helping the user to understand what ids really
were. (each line containing ids had "(ts/db/rel)" or "(db/rel)" inside.
On COMMIT messages, there also was only one "(db/rels)" bit.
This was just an answer to Peter proposal on a different format. I wanted
to keep A/B/C-like format and help DBA to understand what it was using a
prefix string like (ts/db/rel).
But as discussions were going on, I figured out it might be a bad idea so I
did not submit.

> And if we adopt the same format, should that also include the
> tablespace? Although, maybe for locks that doesn't make much sense.

I agree that, in a way, it may be a good idea to use that A/B/C format
every where each time we use ids. It would make sense for the dba to know
what kind of ids are involved if we have partial ones (A/B or B/C).
I don't know the code enough to say whether it would be difficult to
retrieve each time the tablespace or not.
There's also lines with base/db/rel ... So there's some different format.
Anyway, I handle all of them (I hope so) in my processing script. So
keeping the things just as they are (out of the initial COPY patch that
should be applied *to me*) is no problem for me.

On the other hand, there's a consensus not to go further than the initial
patch.

--
Jean-Christophe Arnu