Re: Online base backup from the hot-standby

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Jun Ishiduka <ishizuka(dot)jun(at)po(dot)ntts(dot)co(dot)jp>, ssinger_pg(at)sympatico(dot)ca, simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Online base backup from the hot-standby
Date: 2011-10-25 11:54:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> I don't think we should necessarily give up completely. But doing a
> pg_basebackup way *first* seems reasonable - because it's going to be
> the easiest one to "get right", given that we have more control there.
> Doesn't mean we shouldn't extend it in the future...

Agreed. The question is -- how far should we change pg_basebackup to
"get right"? I think it's not difficult to change it so that it backs up
the control file at the end. But eliminating the need for full_page_writes=on
seems not easy. No? So I'm not inclined to do that in at least first commit.
Otherwise, I'm afraid the patch would become huge.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center