Re: PATCH: standby crashed when replay block which truncated in standby but failed to truncate in master node

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Thunder <thunder1(at)126(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: standby crashed when replay block which truncated in standby but failed to truncate in master node
Date: 2019-10-03 08:54:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 1:57 PM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 03, 2019 at 01:49:34PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> > But this can cause subsequent recovery to always fail with invalid-pages error
> > and the server not to start up. This is bad. So, to allviate the situation,
> > I'm thinking it would be worth adding something like igore_invalid_pages
> > developer parameter. When this parameter is set to true, the startup process
> > always ignores invalid-pages errors. Thought?
>
> That could be helpful.

So attached patch adds new developer GUC "ignore_invalid_pages".
Setting ignore_invalid_pages to true causes the system
to ignore the failure (but still report a warning), and continue recovery.

I will add this to next CommitFest.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao

Attachment Content-Type Size
ignore_invalid_pages_v1.patch application/octet-stream 4.4 KB