Re: PATCH: standby crashed when replay block which truncated in standby but failed to truncate in master node

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Thunder <thunder1(at)126(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: standby crashed when replay block which truncated in standby but failed to truncate in master node
Date: 2019-12-16 03:22:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 11:39 AM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 03, 2019 at 05:54:40PM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:

> > > That could be helpful.
> >
> > So attached patch adds new developer GUC "ignore_invalid_pages".
> > Setting ignore_invalid_pages to true causes the system
> > to ignore the failure (but still report a warning), and continue recovery.
> >
> > I will add this to next CommitFest.
>
> No actual objections against this patch from me as a dev option.

Thanks for the review! Attached is the updated version of the patch.

> + Detection of WAL records having references to invalid pages during
> + recovery causes <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> to report
> + an error, aborting the recovery. Setting
> Well, that's not really an error. This triggers a PANIC, aka crashes
> the server. And in this case the actual problem is that you may not
> be able to move on with recovery when restarting the server again,
> except if luck is on your side because you would continuously face
> it..

So you're thinking that "report an error" should be changed to
"trigger a PANIC"? Personally "report an error" sounds ok because
PANIC is one of "error", I think. But if that misleads people,
I will change the sentence.

> + recovery. This behavior may <emphasis>cause crashes, data loss,
> + propagate or hide corruption, or other serious problems</emphasis>.
> Nit: indentation on the second line here.

Yes, I fixed that.

> + However, it may allow you to get past the error, finish the recovery,
> + and cause the server to start up.
> For consistency here I would suggest the second part of the sentence
> to be "TO finish recovery, and TO cause the server to start up".

Yes, I fixed that.

> + The default setting is off, and it can only be set at server start.
> Nit^2: Missing a <literal> markup for "off"?

Yes, I fixed that.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao

Attachment Content-Type Size
ignore_invalid_pages_v2.patch application/octet-stream 4.1 KB