Re: Log message for GSS connection is missing once connection authorization is successful.

From: Euler Taveira <euler(dot)taveira(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Log message for GSS connection is missing once connection authorization is successful.
Date: 2020-11-05 02:25:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 at 22:52, Bharath Rupireddy <
bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 12:49 PM vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> 1. Do we need to generate and add the translation of the new GSS
> message in all the language specific files under po/ directory?. See
> below for the translated SSL log message added in all the language
> specific .po files. [1] may help.
> I'm not quite sure whether translation should be part of the patch or
> is it done separately? Say someone doing tralsations for a bunch of
> log messages together in a single commit?
>
> No. Don't worry with translations during the development. Make sure to
follow
the instructions provided here [1]. Translations are coordinated in a
different
mailing list: pgsql-translators [2]. There is a different repository [3]
for
handling PO files and the updated files are merged by Peter Eisentraut just
before each minor/major release. We usually start to update translations
after
feature freeze.

> 2. I have one concern about the test case, where we look for an
> expected message[2](in English language), but what happens if the
> logging collector collects the log messages in a different language,
> say[3]? Will the test case fail? I saw that in 004_logrotate.pl we
> look for "division by zero" in the logs, will the same concern apply
> to this as well?
>
> pg_regress changes the lc_messages to C. There won't be test failures due
different LANG.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/nls-programmer.html
[2] https://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-translators/
[3]