Re: vacuum_cost_page_miss default value and modern hardware

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: vacuum_cost_page_miss default value and modern hardware
Date: 2021-01-22 01:12:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 8:34 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> +1 for this change. Lowering to 2 also looks good to me.

I'm going to go ahead with committing my patch to lower the default
next week. If anybody has any objections to that plan, please speak
up.

It doesn't really need to be said again, but just to be clear: I share
the concerns held by Magnus and Robert. It's certainly true that this
change alone is no fix for the general problem I described. At the
same time I believe that the patch makes incremental progress in the
right direction, without much risk.

--
Peter Geoghegan