Re: 64-bit XIDs in deleted nbtree pages

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Subject: Re: 64-bit XIDs in deleted nbtree pages
Date: 2021-03-11 01:34:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 7:25 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:
> Attached is v8 of the patch series, which has new patches. No real
> changes compared to v7 for the first patch, though.

Here is another bitrot-fix-only revision, v9. Just the recycling patch again.

I'll commit this when we get your patch committed. Still haven't
decided on exactly how more aggressive we should be. For example the
use of the heap relation within _bt_newly_deleted_pages_recycle()
might have unintended consequences for recycling efficiency with some
workloads, since it doesn't agree with _bt_getbuf() (it is still "more
ambitious" than _bt_getbuf(), at least for now).

--
Peter Geoghegan

Attachment Content-Type Size
v9-0001-Recycle-pages-deleted-during-same-VACUUM.patch application/octet-stream 13.5 KB