Re: Amcheck verification of GiST and GIN

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Andrey Borodin <amborodin86(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jose Arthur Benetasso Villanova <jose(dot)arthur(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Nikolay Samokhvalov <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Amcheck verification of GiST and GIN
Date: 2023-02-04 02:49:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 2, 2023 at 12:15 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:
> * Why are there only WARNINGs, never ERRORs here?

Attached revision v22 switches all of the WARNINGs over to ERRORs. It
has also been re-indented, and now uses a non-generic version of
PageGetItemIdCareful() in both verify_gin.c and verify_gist.c.
Obviously this isn't a big set of revisions, but I thought that Andrey
would appreciate it if I posted this much now. I haven't thought much
more about the locking stuff, which is my main concern for now.

Who are the authors of the patch, in full? At some point we'll need to
get the attribution right if this is going to be committed.

I think that it would be good to add some comments explaining the high
level control flow. Is the verification process driven by a
breadth-first search, or a depth-first search, or something else?

I think that we should focus on getting the GiST patch into shape for
commit first, since that seems easier.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Attachment Content-Type Size
v22-0002-Add-gist_index_parent_check-function-to-verify-G.patch application/octet-stream 28.0 KB
v22-0001-Refactor-amcheck-to-extract-common-locking-routi.patch application/octet-stream 15.9 KB
v22-0003-Add-gin_index_parent_check-to-verify-GIN-index.patch application/octet-stream 32.8 KB