Re: Using COPY FREEZE in pgbench

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using COPY FREEZE in pgbench
Date: 2021-04-02 22:55:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 5:23 PM Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> Anyway, this time total pgbench time is reduced by 14% over all
> here. I hope people agree that the patch is worth the gain.

Most of the time when I run pgbench I use my own shell script, which does this:

PGOPTIONS='-c vacuum_freeze_min_age=0 -c wal_compression=off' pgbench
-i -s $SCALE

Have you considered this case? In other words, have you considered the
benefits of this patch for users that currently deliberately force
freezing by VACUUM, just because it matters to their benchmark?

(BTW you might be surprised how much wal_compression=off matters here.)

--
Peter Geoghegan