Re: Show various offset arrays for heap WAL records

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Show various offset arrays for heap WAL records
Date: 2023-04-11 22:29:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 11, 2023 at 2:29 PM Melanie Plageman
<melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > That doesn't seem great to me either. I don't like this ambiguity,
> > because it seems like it makes the description hard to parse in a way
> > that flies in the face of what we're trying to do here, in general.
> > So it seems like it might be worth fixing now, in the scope of this
> > patch.
>
> Agreed.

Great -- pushed a fix for this just now, which included that change.

> I agree it would be nice for xl_heap_lock->locking_xid to be renamed
> xmax for clarity. I would suggest that if you don't intend to put it
> in a separate commit, you mention it explicitly in the final commit
> message. Its motivation isn't immediately obvious to the reader.

What I ended up doing is making that part of a bug fix for a minor
buglet I noticed in passing -- it became part of the "Fix xl_heap_lock
WAL record field's data type" commit from a bit earlier on.

Thanks for your help with the follow-up work. Seems like we're done
with this now.

--
Peter Geoghegan