Re: Decoupling antiwraparound autovacuum from special rules around auto cancellation

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Decoupling antiwraparound autovacuum from special rules around auto cancellation
Date: 2023-01-19 01:54:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 9:55 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> How about a float autovacuum_no_auto_cancel_age where positive values are
> treated as absolute values, and negative values are a multiple of
> autovacuum_freeze_max_age? And where the "computed" age is capped at
> vacuum_failsafe_age? A "failsafe" autovacuum clearly shouldn't be cancelled.
>
> And maybe a default setting of -1.8 or so?

Attached is a new revision, v5. I'm not happy with this, but thought
it would be useful to show you where I am with it.

It's a bit awkward that we have a GUC (autovacuum_no_auto_cancel_age)
that can sometimes work as a cutoff that works similarly to both
freeze_max_age and multixact_freeze_max_age, but usually works as a
multiplier. It's both an XID age value, an MXID age value, and a
multiplier on XID/MXID age values.

What if it was just a simple multiplier on
freeze_max_age/multixact_freeze_max_age, without changing any other
detail?

--
Peter Geoghegan

Attachment Content-Type Size
v5-0002-Add-table-age-trigger-concept-to-autovacuum.patch application/octet-stream 19.1 KB
v5-0001-Add-autovacuum-trigger-instrumentation.patch application/octet-stream 15.4 KB