Re: Reorganize collation lookup time and place

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reorganize collation lookup time and place
Date: 2019-02-01 18:03:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 7:27 AM Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> This patch will probably make a reappearance when we consider making ICU
> available as the database-wide default collation.

Somebody recently reported that an ICU locale was over 2000x faster
than the equivalent glibc locale with their query due to supporting
the abbreviated keys optimization:

https://postgr.es/m/CACd=f9cO5OcmAeBK1M5a3+t8BO7E91Ki0WaLAxFm=FBbon_HDw@mail.gmail.com

We really should get around to supporting ICU for database-wide
collations sooner rather than later. I knew that there were cases
where glibc performs abysmally, but I didn't think it could ever be a
difference of more than two orders of magnitude until recently.

--
Peter Geoghegan