Re: WAL consistency check facility

From: Kuntal Ghosh <kuntalghosh(dot)2007(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: WAL consistency check facility
Date: 2017-01-05 05:54:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 10:53 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On a first read-through of this patch -- I have not studied it in
> detail yet -- this looks pretty good to me. One concern is that this
> patch adds a bit of code to XLogInsert(), which is a very hot piece of
> code. Conceivably, that might produce a regression even when this is
> disabled; if so, we'd probably need to make it a build-time option. I
> hope that's not necessary, because I think it would be great to
> compile this into the server by default, but we better make sure it's
> not a problem. A bulk load into an existing table might be a good
> test case.

I've done some bulk load testing with 16,32,64 clients. I didn't
notice any regression
in the results.

> Aside from that, I think the biggest issue here is that the masking
> functions are virtually free of comments, whereas I think they should
> have extensive and detailed comments. For example, in heap_mask, you
> have this:
>
> + page_htup->t_infomask =
> + HEAP_XMIN_COMMITTED | HEAP_XMIN_INVALID |
> + HEAP_XMAX_COMMITTED | HEAP_XMAX_INVALID;
>
> For something like this, you could write "We want to ignore
> differences in hint bits, since they can be set by SetHintBits without
> emitting WAL. Force them all to be set so that we don't notice
> discrepancies." Actually, though, I think that you could be a bit
> more nuanced here: HEAP_XMIN_COMMITTED + HEAP_XMIN_INVALID =
> HEAP_XMIN_FROZEN, so maybe what you should do is clear
> HEAP_XMAX_COMMITTED and HEAP_XMAX_INVALID but only clear the others if
> one is set but not both.

I've modified it as follows:
+
+ if (!HeapTupleHeaderXminFrozen(page_htup))
+ page_htup->t_infomask |= HEAP_XACT_MASK;
+ else
+ page_htup->t_infomask |=
HEAP_XMAX_COMMITTED | HEAP_XMAX_INVALID;

> Anyway, leaving that aside, I think every single change that gets
> masked in every single masking routine needs a similar comment,
> explaining why that change can happen on the master without also
> happening on the standby and hopefully referring to the code that
> makes that unlogged change.

I've added comments for all the masking routines.

> I think wal_consistency_checking, as proposed by Peter, is better than
> wal_consistency_check, as implemented.

Modified to wal_consistency_checking.

> Having StartupXLOG() call pfree() on the masking buffers is a waste of
> code. The process is going to exit anyway.
>
> + "Inconsistent page found, rel %u/%u/%u, forknum %u, blkno %u",

Done.

> Primary error messages aren't capitalized.
>
> + if (!XLogRecGetBlockTag(record, block_id, &rnode, &forknum, &blkno))
> + {
> + /* Caller specified a bogus block_id. Do nothing. */
> + continue;
> + }
>
> Why would the caller do something so dastardly?

Modified to following comment:
+ /*
+ * WAL record doesn't contain a block reference
+ * with the given id. Do nothing.
+ */

I've attached the patch with the modified changes. PFA.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Kuntal Ghosh

Attachment Content-Type Size
walconsistency_v16.patch application/x-download 49.5 KB