Re: Deleting older versions in unique indexes to avoid page splits

From: Victor Yegorov <vyegorov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Deleting older versions in unique indexes to avoid page splits
Date: 2021-01-11 20:19:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

пн, 11 янв. 2021 г. в 01:07, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>:

> Attached is v13, which has this tweak, and other miscellaneous cleanup
> based on review from both Victor and Heikki. I consider this version
> of the patch to be committable. I intend to commit something close to
> it in the next week, probably no later than Thursday. I still haven't
> got to the bottom of the shellsort question raised by Heikki. I intend
> to do further performance validation before committing the patch. I
> will look into the shellsort thing again as part of this final
> performance validation work -- perhaps I can get rid of the
> specialized shellsort implementation entirely, simplifying the state
> structs added to tableam.h. (As I said before, it seems best to
> address this last of all to avoid making performance validation even
> more complicated.)

I've checked this version quickly. It applies and compiles without issues.
`make check` and `make check-world` reported no issue.

But `make installcheck-world` failed on:

test explain ... FAILED 22 ms
test event_trigger ... ok 178 ms
test fast_default ... ok 262 ms
test stats ... ok 586 ms

1 of 202 tests failed.

(see attached diff). It doesn't look like the fault of this patch, though.

I suppose you plan to send another revision before committing this.
Therefore I didn't perform any tests here, will wait for the next version.

--
Victor Yegorov

Attachment Content-Type Size
20210111-v13-regression.diffs application/octet-stream 5.5 KB