make pg_ctl more friendly

From: Crisp Lee <litianxiang01(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: make pg_ctl more friendly
Date: 2023-11-02 06:50:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi hackers:

I got a basebackup using pg_basebackup -R. After that, I created a restore
point named test on primary, and set recovery_target_name to test,
recovery_target_action to shutdown in standby datadir. I got a failure
startup message after 'pg_ctl start -D $standby_datadir'. I think it is
not a failure, and makes users nervous, especially for newbies.

My thought is to generate a recovery.done file if the postmaster receives
exit code 3 from the startup process. When postmaster exits, pg_ctl will
give a more friendly message to users.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Make-pg_ctl-more-friendly-for-users.patch application/octet-stream 9.3 KB