Re: order by different on mac vs linux

From: Wes James <comptekki(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: order by different on mac vs linux
Date: 2012-05-15 16:06:00
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Wes James <comptekki(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> Why is there a different order on the different platforms.
>
> This is not exactly unusual.  You should first check to see if
> lc_collate is set differently in the two installations --- but even if
> it's the same, there are often platform-specific interpretations of
> the sorting rules.  (Not to mention that OS X is flat out broken when
> it comes to sorting UTF8 data ...)
>
> If you want consistent cross-platform results, "C" locale will get
> that for you, but it's pretty stupid about non-ASCII characters.
>
> For more info read
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/charset.html
>
>                        regards, tom lane

I tried using the postgres that comes with ubuntu (sudo apt-get
install postgresql).

With my app I kept getting invalid password. I went in to the
database sudo -u postgres database and did \password and set a
password, but I still got invalid password error from the app api
trying to make a connection.

I then went back to the source installed version and now the output is
correct. I'm not sure what changed. hmmm.

-wes