Re: proof concept - access to session variables on client side

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proof concept - access to session variables on client side
Date: 2012-07-03 18:01:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2012/7/3 Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>:
> On tis, 2012-06-26 at 07:06 +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>> A motivation is integration of possibilities of psql console together
>> with stronger language - plpgsql. Second target is enabling
>> possibility to save a result of some server side process in psql. It
>> improve vars feature in psql.
>
> I think it would be better if DO could be extended into some kind of
> "lambda", taking parameters and returning a value.  Then you can use
> existing infrastructure for passing values and saving the return.  It
> would also extend better to other languages.

I did it
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-07/msg00118.php

it is other approach. I think so callback from server to client is
more general solution - access to client system variables is possible,
but I know so this is very obscure and risk idea.

but any form of parametrization of PL block can be nice.

Regards

Pavel