Re: SQL/JSON: JSON_TABLE

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: SQL/JSON: JSON_TABLE
Date: 2019-11-21 16:51:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

čt 21. 11. 2019 v 17:31 odesílatel Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
napsal:

> [...]
> behavior can be standardized after introduction of json data types in SQL.
>

> There is another bug maybe. Although there is DEFAULT clause. It returns NULL.
>
> ON ERROR should be used if "not a scalar" error needs to be caught:
>
> SELECT *
> FROM
> JSON_TABLE(
> '[{"a":[1,2]}]',
> '$[*]'
> COLUMNS(
> aj JSON PATH '$.a' DEFAULT '{"x": 333}' ON ERROR
> )
> ) AS tt;
>
> aj
> ------------
> {"x": 333}
> (1 row)
>

> ON EMPTY catches only empty-result case (for example, non-existent path in
> lax mode):
>
> SELECT *
> FROM
> JSON_TABLE(
> '[{"a":[1,2]}]',
> '$[*]'
> COLUMNS(
> aj JSON PATH '$.foo' DEFAULT '{"x": 333}' ON EMPTY
> )
> ) AS tt;
> aj
> ------------
> {"x": 333}
> (1 row)
>

> I got correct result when I used FORMAT JSON clause.
> I think it should be default behave for json and jsonb columns.
>
> I agree that FORMAT JSON could be implicit for json[b] columns. But I think
> there could be one minor problem if we want to verify that returned value is
> scalar.
>
> Without FORMAT JSON this is verified by the underlying JSON_VALUE expression:
>
> SELECT *
> FROM
> JSON_TABLE(
> '[{"a":[1,2]}]',
> '$[*]'
> COLUMNS (
> aj JSON PATH 'lax $.a' ERROR ON ERROR
> )
> ) AS tt;
> ERROR: JSON path expression in JSON_VALUE should return singleton scalar item
>
> (This error message with the reference to implicit JSON_VALUE needs to be fixed.)
>

> But with FORMAT JSON we need to construct complex jsonpath with a filter and
> override ON EMPTY behavior:
>
> SELECT *
> FROM
> JSON_TABLE(
> '[{"a":[1,2]}]',
> '$[*]'
> COLUMNS (
> aj JSON FORMAT JSON
> -- strict mode is mandatory to prevent array unwrapping
> PATH 'strict $.a ? (@.type() != "array" && @.type() != "object")'
> ERROR ON EMPTY ERROR ON ERROR
> )
> ) AS tt;
> ERROR: no SQL/JSON item
>
> please, check the behave of other databases. I think so good conformance
with other RDBMS is important. More this method for checking if value is
object or not looks little bit scary.

maybe we can implement some functions like JSON_IS_OBJECT(),
JSON_IS_ARRAY(), JSON_IS_VALUE()?

More - we have this functionality already

ostgres=# select json_typeof('[10,20]');
│ json_typeof │
│ array │
(1 row)

Another question - when I used FORMAT JSON clause, then I got syntax error