Re: [HACKERS] proposal: schema variables

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Gilles Darold <gilles(dot)darold(at)dalibo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] proposal: schema variables
Date: 2018-09-06 08:30:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

here is updated patch - I wrote some transactional support

I am not sure how these new features are understandable and if these
features does it better or not.

There are possibility to reset to default value when

a) any transaction is finished - the scope of value is limited by
transaction

CREATE VARIABLE foo int ON TRANSACTION END RESET;

b) when transaction finished by rollback

CREATE VARIABLE foo int ON ROLLBACK RESET

Now, when I am thinking about it, the @b is simple, but not too practical -
when some fails, then we lost a value (any transaction inside session can
fails). The @a has sense - the behave is global value (what is not possible
in Postgres now), but this value is destroyed by any unhandled exceptions,
and it cleaned on transaction end. The @b is just for information and for
discussion, but I'll remove it - because it is obscure.

The open question is syntax. PostgreSQL has already ON COMMIT xxx . It is
little bit unclean, because it has semantic "on transaction end", but if I
didn't implement @b, then ON COMMIT syntax can be used.

Regards

Pavel

Attachment Content-Type Size
schema-variables-180906-01.patch text/x-patch 208.8 KB