Re: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Sergey Shinderuk <s(dot)shinderuk(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com, er(at)xs4all(dot)nl, joel(at)compiler(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15
Date: 2023-03-29 06:04:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

ne 26. 3. 2023 v 13:32 odesílatel Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
napsal:

> Hi,
>
> I just have a few minor wording improvements for the various comments /
> documentation you quoted.
>
> On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 08:53:49AM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > út 21. 3. 2023 v 17:18 odesílatel Peter Eisentraut <
> > peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> napsal:
> >
> > > - What is the purpose of struct Variable? It seems very similar to
> > > FormData_pg_variable. At least a comment would be useful.
> > >

> > I wrote comment there:
> >

> > /*
> > * The Variable struct is based on FormData_pg_variable struct. Against
> > * FormData_pg_variable it can hold node of deserialized expression used
> > * for calculation of default value.
> > */
>
> Did you mean "Unlike" rather than "Against"?
>
> > > 0002
> > >
> > > expr_kind_allows_session_variables() should have some explanation
> > > about criteria for determining which expression kinds should allow
> > > variables.
> > >

> > I wrote comment there:
> >
> > /*
> > * Returns true, when expression of kind allows using of
> > * session variables.
> > + * The session's variables can be used everywhere where
> > + * can be used external parameters. Session variables
> > + * are not allowed in DDL. Session's variables cannot be
> > + * used in constraints.
> > + *
> > + * The identifier can be parsed as an session variable
> > + * only in expression's kinds where session's variables
> > + * are allowed. This is the primary usage of this function.
> > + *
> > + * Second usage of this function is for decision if
> > + * an error message "column does not exist" or "column
> > + * or variable does not exist" should be printed. When
> > + * we are in expression, where session variables cannot
> > + * be used, we raise the first form or error message.
> > */
>
> Maybe
>
> /*
> * Returns true if the given expression kind is valid for session variables
> * Session variables can be used everywhere where external parameters can
> be
> * used. Session variables are not allowed in DDL commands or in
> constraints.
> *
> * An identifier can be parsed as a session variable only for expression
> kinds
> * where session variables are allowed. This is the primary usage of this
> * function.
> *
> * Second usage of this function is to decide whether "column does not
> exist" or
> * "column or variable does not exist" error message should be printed.
> * When we are in an expression where session variables cannot be used, we
> raise
> * the first form or error message.
> */

> [...]

with language correctures

Regards

Pavel

Attachment Content-Type Size
v20230329-1-0009-this-patch-changes-error-message-column-doesn-t-exis.patch text/x-patch 26.5 KB
v20230329-1-0007-possibility-to-dump-session-variables-by-pg_dump.patch text/x-patch 19.6 KB
v20230329-1-0008-regress-tests-for-session-variables.patch text/x-patch 64.4 KB
v20230329-1-0010-documentation.patch text/x-patch 45.7 KB
v20230329-1-0006-enhancing-psql-for-session-variables.patch text/x-patch 14.1 KB
v20230329-1-0005-DISCARD-VARIABLES-command.patch text/x-patch 3.2 KB
v20230329-1-0004-support-of-LET-command-in-PLpgSQL.patch text/x-patch 11.9 KB
v20230329-1-0003-LET-command.patch text/x-patch 44.7 KB
v20230329-1-0002-session-variables.patch text/x-patch 111.9 KB
v20230329-1-0001-catalog-support-for-session-variables.patch text/x-patch 85.1 KB