Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2

From: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2
Date: 2023-12-06 05:42:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Dec 3, 2023 at 11:22 PM Tomas Vondra
<tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Some time ago I floated the idea of maybe "queuing" the sequence changes
> and only replay them on the next commit, somehow. But we did ran into
> problems with which snapshot to use, that I didn't know how to solve.
> Maybe we should try again. The idea is we'd queue the non-transactional
> changes somewhere (can't be in the transaction, because we must keep
> them even if it aborts), and then "inject" them into the next commit.
> That'd mean we wouldn't do the separate start/abort for each change.

Why can't we use the same concept of
SnapBuildDistributeNewCatalogSnapshot(), I mean we keep queuing the
non-transactional changes (have some base snapshot before the first
change), and whenever there is any catalog change, queue new snapshot
change also in the queue of the non-transactional sequence change so
that while sending it to downstream whenever it is necessary we will
change the historic snapshot?

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar