Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints

From: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Maciek Sakrejda <m(dot)sakrejda(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints
Date: 2022-03-23 08:36:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 8:53 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 5:00 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > In my previous patch mistakenly I used src_dboid instead of
> > dest_dboid. Fixed in this version. For destination db I have used
> > lock mode as AccessSharedLock. Logically if we see access wise we
> > don't want anyone else to be accessing that db but that is anyway
> > protected because it is not visible to anyone else. So I think
> > AccessSharedLock should be correct here because we are just taking
> > this lock because we are accessing pages in shared buffers from this
> > database's relations.
>
> Here's my worked-over version of your previous patch. I haven't tried
> to incorporate your incremental patch that you just posted.

Thanks for working on the comments. Please find the updated version
which include below changes
- Worked on the XXX comments added by you.
- Added database level lock for the target database as well.
- Used fake relcache and removed direct access to the smgr, I think it
was not really necessary in
ScanSourceDatabasePgClass() because we are using it for a very short
period of time but still I have changed it, let me know if you think
that it is unneccessary to create the fake relcache here.
- Removed extra space in createdb.c and fixed test case.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Add-new-block-by-block-strategy-for-CREATE-DATABA.patch text/x-patch 61.5 KB