Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints

From: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Maciek Sakrejda <m(dot)sakrejda(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints
Date: 2022-04-01 08:21:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 9:52 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> > + "ALTER DATABASE testdb SET TABLESPACE regress_ts2");
> > +ok($result == 0, 'move database to tablespace 2');
>
> This just tests the command doesn't fail, but not whether it actually did
> something useful. Seem we should at least insert a row or two into the the
> table, and verify they can be accessed?

Now, added some tuples and verified them.

> > # Check that only READ-only queries can run on standbys
> > is($node_standby_1->psql('postgres', 'INSERT INTO tab_int VALUES (1)'),
> > 3, 'read-only queries on standby 1');
>
> I'd probably add a function for creating database / table and then testing it,
> with a strategy parameter. That way we can afterwards add more tests verifying
> that everything worked.

I have created a function to create a database and table and verify
the content in it. Another option is we can just keep the database
and table creation inside the function and the verification part
outside it so that if some future test case wants to create some extra
content and verify it then they can do so. But with the current
tests in mind the way I got it in the attached patch has less
duplicate code so I preferred it this way.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Create-database-test-coverage.patch text/x-patch 3.1 KB