Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods

From: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Ildus Kurbangaliev <i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods
Date: 2021-01-19 09:53:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 2:14 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 3:40 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > How did you test it ?
> > >
> > > I'm not completely clear how this is intended to work... has it been tested
> > > before ? According to the comments, in binary upgrade mode, there's an ALTER
> > > which is supposed to SET COMPRESSION, but that's evidently not happening.
> >
> > I am able to reproduce this issue, If I run pg_dump with
> > binary_upgrade mode then I can see the issue (./pg_dump
> > --binary-upgrade -d Postgres). Yes you are right that for fixing
> > this there should be an ALTER..SET COMPRESSION method.

> > > I'm referring to pg_upgrade which uses pg_dump, but does *not* re-insert data,
> > > but rather recreates catalogs only and then links to the old tables (either
> > > with copy, link, or clone). Test with make -C src/bin/pg_upgrade (which is
> > > included in make check-world).
> >
> > Got this as well.
> >
> > I will fix these two issues and post the updated patch by tomorrow.
> >
> > Thanks for your findings.
>
> I have fixed this issue in the v18 version, please test and let me
> know your thoughts. There is one more issue pending from an upgrade
> perspective in v18-0003, basically, for the preserved method we need
> to restore the dependency as well. I will work on this part and
> shared the next version soon.

Now I have added support for handling the preserved method in the
binary upgrade, please find the updated patch set.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar

Attachment Content-Type Size
v19-0002-alter-table-set-compression.patch application/octet-stream 17.8 KB
v19-0004-Create-custom-compression-methods.patch application/octet-stream 31.1 KB
v19-0003-Add-support-for-PRESERVE.patch application/octet-stream 51.2 KB
v19-0005-new-compression-method-extension-for-zlib.patch application/octet-stream 10.0 KB
v19-0001-Built-in-compression-method.patch application/octet-stream 228.0 KB
v19-0006-Support-compression-methods-options.patch application/octet-stream 61.7 KB