Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints

From: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints
Date: 2021-09-02 06:06:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 3:00 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 12:50 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 2:48 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> > > Or do you mean that looking at the filesystem at all is bypassing shared
> > > buffers?
> >
> > This is what I mean. I think we will end up in a better spot if we can
> > avoid doing that without creating too much ugliness elsewhere.
> >

> The patch was not getting applied on head so I have rebased it, along
> with that now I have used bufmgr layer for writing writing/logging
> destination pages as well instead of directly using sgmr layer.

I have done further cleanup of the patch and also divided it into 3 patches.

0001 - Currently, write_relmap_file and load_relmap_file are tightly
coupled with shared_map and local_map. As part of the higher level
patch set we need remap read/write interfaces that are not dependent
upon shared_map and local_map, and we should be able to pass map
memory as an external parameter instead.

0002- Support new interfaces in relmapper, 1) Support copying the
relmap file from one database path to the other database path. 2) Like
RelationMapOidToFilenode, provide another interface which do the same
but instead of getting it for the database we are connected to it will
get it for the input database path. These interfaces are required for
the next patch for supporting the wal logged created database.

0003- The main patch for WAL logging the created database operation.

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Refactor-relmap-load-and-relmap-write-functions.patch text/x-patch 8.0 KB
v2-0002-Extend-relmap-interfaces.patch text/x-patch 8.8 KB
v2-0003-WAL-logged-CREATE-DATABASE.patch text/x-patch 39.0 KB