Doubt about AccessExclusiveLock in ALTER TABLE .. SET ( .. );

From: Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Doubt about AccessExclusiveLock in ALTER TABLE .. SET ( .. );
Date: 2015-03-27 19:23:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

I'm tweaking some autovacuum settings in a table with high write usage but
with ALTER TABLE .. SET ( .. ) this task was impossible, so I did a catalog
update (pg_class) to change reloptions.

Maybe it's a stupid doubt, but why we need to get an AccessExclusiveLock on
relation to set reloptions if we just touch in pg_class tuples
(RowExclusiveLock) ?

Regards,

--
Fabrízio de Royes Mello