Re: Slow catchup of 2PC (twophase) transactions on replica in LR

From: Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Давыдов Виталий <v(dot)davydov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slow catchup of 2PC (twophase) transactions on replica in LR
Date: 2024-04-04 05:23:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 6, 2024 at 1:29 AM Давыдов Виталий <v(dot)davydov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
wrote:

> In usual work, the subscription has two_phase = on. I have to change this
> option at catchup stage only, but this parameter can not be altered. There
> was a patch proposal in past to implement altering of two_phase option, but
> it was rejected. I think, the recreation of the subscription with two_phase
> = off will not work.

The altering of two_phase was restricted because if there was a previously
prepared transaction on the subscriber when the two_phase was on, and then
it was turned off, the apply worker on the subscriber would re-apply the
transaction a second time and this might result in an inconsistent replica.
Here's a patch that allows toggling two_phase option provided that there
are no pending uncommitted prepared transactions on the subscriber for that
subscription.

Thanks to Kuroda-san for working on the patch.

regards,
Ajin Cherian
Fujitsu Australia

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-Allow-altering-of-two_phase-option-in-subscribers.patch application/octet-stream 7.7 KB