Re: logical replication empty transactions

From: Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Rahila Syed <rahila(dot)syed(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: logical replication empty transactions
Date: 2021-04-15 03:29:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 3:29 PM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 08:08:06PM +0530, Rahila Syed wrote:
> > The make check passes.
>
> Since then, the patch is failing to apply, waiting on author and the
> thread has died 6 weeks or so ago, so I am marking it as RwF in the
> CF.

I've rebased the patch and made changes so that the patch supports
"streaming in-progress transactions" and handling of logical decoding
messages (transactional and non-transactional).
I see that this patch not only makes sure that empty transactions are not
sent but also does call OutputPluginUpdateProgress when an empty
transaction is not sent, as a result the confirmed_flush_lsn is kept
moving. I also see no hangs when synchronous_standby is configured.
Do let me know your thoughts on this patch.

regards,
Ajin Cherian
Fujitsu Australia

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Skip-empty-transactions-for-logical-replication.patch application/octet-stream 5.2 KB