Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum

From: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Yura Sokolov <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum
Date: 2023-01-26 07:08:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 24, 2023 at 1:17 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 6:00 PM John Naylor
> <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > Attached is a rebase to fix conflicts from recent commits.
>
> I have reviewed v22-0022* patch and I have some comments.
>
> 1.
> >It also changes to the column names max_dead_tuples and num_dead_tuples
and to
> >show the progress information in bytes.
>
> I think this statement needs to be rephrased.

Could you be more specific?

> 3.
>
> We are changing the min value of 'maintenance_work_mem' to 2MB. Should
> we do the same for the 'autovacuum_work_mem'?

Yes, we should change that, too. We've discussed previously that
autovacuum_work_mem is possibly rendered unnecessary by this work, but we
agreed that that should be a separate thread. And needs additional testing
to verify.

I agree with your other comments.

--
John Naylor