extension packaging: make installcheck (and note about VPATH)

From: Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-pkg-debian(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: extension packaging: make installcheck (and note about VPATH)
Date: 2011-12-04 10:45:23
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian

Hello

* I have now fixed VPATH build for pgfincore and discover that the
easiest solution is to make all files.
I used a hack in my makefile, the template is (similar of what
"REGRESS" does in pgxs.mk):
----------------
# Workaround for lack of good VPATH support in pgxs for extension/contrib
pgext_files := $(DOCS) $(DATA) # $(EXTENSION).control
ifdef VPATH
pgext_files_build:= $(addprefix $(CURDIR)/, $(pgext_files))
all: $(pgext_files_build)
$(pgext_files_build): $(CURDIR)/%: $(VPATH)/%
cp $< $@
endif # VPATH
----------------
pgext_files depend of what you already explicitely build...
(Problem for which I have no patch is pgxs.mk flushing $(VPATH) and
$(srcdir) when PGXS is set, so that INSTALL_DATA don't find source
files, so the hack)

* Now I wonder how to handle 'make installcheck'.
I am not well-versed in how debian package build is supposed to
happen. Is it ok to suppose that the debian build is run on a server
where all postgresql versions (not EOL) are installed ?
I believe the only problem remaining is SHAREDIR: for >=9.1 we need to
have extension.control in SHAREDIR/extension but I don't know how to
change the default of that. Ideas ?

--
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
http://2ndQuadrant.fr/