Re: database slowdown while a lot of inserts occur

From: Deron <fecastle(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)illinois(dot)edu>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: database slowdown while a lot of inserts occur
Date: 2012-03-29 18:17:24
Lists: pgsql-performance

On a Linux system you can use tools like "sar" and "iostat" to watch
disk activity and view the writes/second or I am sure there are other
tools you can use. Watch CPU and memory with "top" If it does appear
to be an I/O issue there are
some things you can do in either hardware or software, or if it is a
CPU/ memory issue building indexes or running updates on triggers

A simple suggestion is:
Move the bulk insert application to run during 'off' or 'slow'
hours if possible.

Some Software suggestions are:
Use the PG "Copy" to do the bulk insert
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/sql-copy.html
(or)
Drop the indexes (or triggers), do the inserts and build indexes
and triggers.

Some Hardware suggestions are dependendent on if it is I/O, CPU, or
memory bottleneck.

Deron