Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading

From: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: stepan rutz <stepan(dot)rutz(at)gmx(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading
Date: 2024-02-26 19:30:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I've taken the liberty to update this patch, and register it in the
commitfest app to not lose track of progress [0].

The attached v8 patch measures scratch memory allocations (with MEMORY
option), total time spent in serialization (with TIMING on, measures
are inclusive of unseparated memcpy to the message buffer), and a
count of produced bytes plus the output format used (text or binary).
It's a light rework of the earlier 0007 patch, I've reused tests and
some infrastructure, while the implementation details and comments
have been updated significantly.

I think we can bikeshed on format and names, but overall I think the
patch is in a very decent shape.

Stepan, thank you for your earlier work, and feel free to check it out
or pick it up again if you want to; else I'll try to get this done.

Kind regards,

Matthias van de Meent

Attachment Content-Type Size
v8-0001-Explain-Add-SERIALIZE-option.patch application/octet-stream 28.0 KB